Photoshop Elements Tutorial

by Mindy on November 8, 2012

in How-To, Photoshop, Uncategorized, Videos

Clean up those White Backgrounds!

Painting # 39 of 52/52 Challenge- Mushroom – Watercolor Mlighthipe©2012

I recently had one of my readers ask me how I clean up the background on my botanical paintings in Photoshop Elements. I spent about 3 weeks composing my eBook, “Scan YOUR Art” and decided this time that I would try to make a video using the Mac video capture. This is my first video! It came out much longer than I thought it would, but as I began I realized that there is so much that instructors don’t say that I found I had been talking for 26 minutes!  I uploaded it onto YouTube and when I viewed it on the screen it was not as clear as I had hoped. I decided to put it out on the www and see what ya’ll think of it. If you have any comments, questions or feedback…. please let me know. I hope that you find it useful.

I have gotten some feedback from readers that the quality of the video is blurring when the screen goes to full size. I am looking into a few programs that will be clearer. My suggestion is to go directly to YouTube and watch the video there. Readers are saying the YouTube channel is a better video. Here is a direct link:

PhotoShop Tutorial on Getting White Backgrounds

You can subscribe to my YouTube channel and automatically be updated when I post a new video.

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

Margie Disque November 8, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Hi Mindy: thanks for your generousity, sharing your ability with Photoshop. I find the sound track from this video helpful (I’m a rank beginner) but the visuals are very hard to see: if I leave it the size it is, I can’t see details; if I click the four-way arrows for full-screen, it is so dadgum blurry I can’t see.

Please note: I am NOT complaining, I am informing. Thanks!

Mindy November 8, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Hi Margie,
Thanks for the feedback. I used a “free” program on my computer to do this video. I too found it blurry when I was looking at it in the largest format. Maybe you can try viewing it directly from YouTube. It might be better there. Here is the url…..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVmjJpt9LuQ&feature=g-crec-u
I am going to look into another program that will do a better job. Thanks for the input. I am working on getting better equipment!

laura Ashton November 8, 2012 at 11:49 pm

THIS IS FANTASTIC!!!! Thank you so much. I am so excited to try this and the info in your e-book. I have a Mac and am getting PS elements 11 for Xmas this year, I can’t wait.
This is so helpful and easy to follow, I hope you decide to make more. I would think they will be very popular.

Great job.
Laura

Laura Ashton November 8, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Reading the first comment, I did go onto YouTube to watch it so the screen size was bigger and I could follow the visuals at that size.

Laura

Mindy November 9, 2012 at 9:13 am

Thanks Laura for the input. I am going to post the link right into the blog post so if people do not read the comments they can still get to the YouTube site. I think this will be a great series of videos for people. There are lots of tutorials out there on Photoshop but none that really gear themselves to artists.

beth breakstone November 13, 2012 at 5:18 pm

thank you for a very helpful video. i was using the magic wand and the eraser, but not levels. your way seems a lot easier than the method i was using. i have one question…do you make a copy of your original and work in a copy?

Laura Gould November 21, 2012 at 7:56 am

This is wonderful! Thanks so much Mindy ♡

Mindy November 21, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Hi Beth,
I am glad that you found the tutorial useful. I usually do not make a copy of my file when I clean it up. I know many people do but I find that it would just take up more storage space on my computer. You can make a copy if you are nervous and then delete the original scan once you are happy with the final “good” cleaned up image. Happy Scanning!

Mindy

Mindy November 21, 2012 at 5:41 pm

So glad that you found it useful Laura!